Fibromyalgia Foods & Supplements:
So little is known about the disease, much less the proper foods to consume and what foods to avoid. Fibromyalgia is not generally regarded as an "auto immune" disease but seems to be a condition of centralized pain reception sensitivity. Nerve endings are sensitive but over time the receptor sites in the brain become hyper sensitive and general painful areas of the body becomes normal. In some situations anti-inflammatories help certain patients however if the anti-inflammatory agent is food, not drugs, the outcome seems to be better. Foods are vastly complicated chemical carriers and additional chemicals are ingested and may work together, or complementary to each other to enhance patient outcomes.
It's often said the best pharmacy for fibromyalgia discomfort is found in the local produce and meat departments of your local grocer.
Here are some of the best suggestions for combating Fibromyalgia with food, supplements, vitamins and herbs for pain control.
Foods to be avoided and why:
1. Alchohol- sometimes some forms of alcohol may trigger symptom flares, however as with all things dosages of what is important. The old adage of 1 - 2 ea, 4 oz. glasses of red wine may be beneficial daily.
2. Caffeine - excess use may stress liver and adrenal glands
3. Sugar - try to eliminate in practically all forms. For sweetness substitute the herb plant stevia
4. Processed foods - a general rule about most processed foods is excessive amounts of sugars and salts
5. Allergy triggering foods - many fibromyalgia patients suffer digestive disorders causing pain, diarrhea and headaches which may be triggered by:
A. MSG ( monosodium glutamate ), caffeine, food coloring, chocolate, shrimp, dairy products, gluten, yeast, soy, corn and other food additives such as aspartame. Many processed foods are loaded with addititives.
Foods to consume and why:
1. Turkey - contains tryptophan, amino acid that fights chronic fatigue and depression which is common problems of many fibro patients.
2. Nuts, cold water fish, seeds as they are high in tryptophan
3. Tart cherries and red raspberries because they are high in anthocyanins which is an anti inflammatory. Also tart cherries and raspberries may help induce sleep which is often a complication of fibromyalgia.
4. Sardines and organ meats - these natural products are high in Co-Q-10. CoQ10 is a muscle relaxant and stiff muscles is often a symptom.
5. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - use to replace butter or oils for cooking. EVOO has oleocanthal which is also an antiinflammatory.
6. Mediterranean diet - a general rule is this diet is fresh fruit, vegetables, fish and has very little dairy however some patients benefit from consuming Greek style yogurt.